Latest News

14th January 2018
Unfortunately, we are sad to announce that after 20 years in existence, HUSH has ceased. We would like to thank everyone for their help and support..... read article
Please Support HUSH


Louise Howden, Age 12
5th November 2008

When I was 5 my sister and I both started with bad sickness and diarrhoea. After a few days my mum took us to our local GP - he said it was a tummy bug. It didn't stop there - the sickness and diarrhoea got worse and we were losing blood. The stomach pains were very bad and we were both going down hill fast. My mum took stool samples but we were just turned away. After almost a week of these symptoms my parents were becoming very worried and concerned that this was not just a bug!

That night they rang the GP. It was a locum that came. He immediately took one look at Sarah and said that we should take her down to the Children's Hospital immediately and that he would ring to ensure that they would be waiting for us.

I had to stay home that night with grandparents, to see how my illness progressed. I went down to hospital in the car the next morning. Sarah and I were both admitted to an isolation ward. We were barrier nursed. Over the next two days our conditions continued to deteriorate and became very serious. The doctors and nurses constantly tested our blood, urine and blood pressures. The samples were sent off to the public health labs where a world expert on E.coli, Peter Chapman, knew and understood the urgency of the hospital receiving the results in order to start treatment.

Had it not been for Mr Chapman in the labs and a renal consultant at the hospital, I would not be writing this story today.

The test results proved to be E.coli O157. Both Sarah and I, along with another boy aged 7, were taken into theatre to have tubes attached to our kidneys and then on to dialysis machines because of the poisonous toxins E.coli produces. This surgery is very dangerous and has often proved fatal.

For the next six weeks we were all nursed on ITU, returning back to theatre for more surgery. The dialysis machines were very painful. We had several blood transfusions, a nasal tube and drip feeds.

Although some medics know how to treat E.coli there is no known cure. It very much depends on medical expertise and the individual patient as to how they will respond to treatment.

During the last two weeks of our stay in hospital we were slowly withdrawn from dialysis machines until our kidneys were able to function on their own. Sarah and I now have scaring on both kidneys. No one knows the long term damage of HUS. Sarah produces too much protein and already has to have medication for the rest of her life.

As a result of her suffering, our family along with others decided to set up a nationwide support group called HUSH (Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome Help).

<< First < Previous Page 2 of 4 Next > Last >>

22nd October 2009

When she got sick, my daughter was 1 year and 9 months old. She started to have watery diarrhoea but seemed ok otherwise so we weren't too concerned. There was no temperature, no blood in the nappy.... read
28th April 2009

I would like to offer a short recollection of my daughter's survival from H.U.S. This may encourage hope where this seems unbeatable. My news of a happy outcome may just help somebody feel .... read
3rd December 2008

I will never forget the day we got the phone call from nursery. Our two and a half year old daughter, Maisie, had had a sudden and severe bout of extremely nasty diarrhoea and nursery policy requir.... read
5th November 2008

When I was 5 my sister and I both started with bad sickness and diarrhoea. After a few days my mum took us to our local GP - he said it was a tummy bug. It didn't stop there - the sickness and diar.... read
9th July 2008

We are the Russell family, Mum Sue, Dad Phil, eldest son James (now 31), daughter Tamsin (now 28) and youngest son Andrew (now 23). Back in the summer of 1994 both Andrew and Tamsin had E c.... read
<< First < Previous Page 2 of 4 Next > Last >>